This year marks the 200th anniversary of the Fort Winnebago Surgeon’s Quarters in Portage, WI. The log building was constructed in 1819 and overlooks the site where Louis Joliet and Father Marquette left the Fox River to portage to the Wisconsin River in 1673. It is the oldest building in Wisconsin on its original foundation. The building was used as a home for the Francois LeRoi family for their portage and fur trading businesses.
For more information about the Fort Winnebago Surgeon’s Quarters go to: https://www.fortwinnebagosurgeonsquarters.org or their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FortWinnebagoSurgeonsQuarters.org